Trump continuing to show improvement during treatment for COVID-19: doctors

BETHESDA, Md. — U.S. President Donald Trump “has continued to improve” but faced serious symptoms on Friday, the White House physician said Sunday, seeking to clarify contradictory statements and confusion that previously raised questions about the seriousness of the president’s condition.

Read more: Trump aide Nicholas Luna tests positive for coronavirus: reports

Navy Cmdr. Dr. Sean Conley acknowledged the confusion and offered new details as he addressed the media from on the steps of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where Trump was being treated for COVID-19.

Conley said the president had a “high fever” and a blood oxygen level below 94% on Friday before he was hospitalized.

“The president has continued to improve,” Conley said.

Trump offered his own assessment of his status the night before in a video from his hospital suite, saying he was beginning to feel better and hoped to “be back soon.” And he was back on social media early Sunday morning, sharing a video of flag-waving supporters, most not wearing masks, gathered outside Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

Story continues below advertisement

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Trump’s physician says conflicting reports of president’s health ‘misconstrued’' Coronavirus: Trump’s physician says conflicting reports of president’s health ‘misconstrued’

Coronavirus: Trump’s physician says conflicting reports of president’s health ‘misconstrued’

The changing, and at times contradictory, accounts created a credibility crisis for the White House at a crucial moment, with the president’s health and the nation’s leadership on the line.

Moreover, the president’s health represents a national security issue of paramount importance not only to the functions of the U.S. government but also to countries around the world, friendly and otherwise.

Trump’s Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, pulled his attack ads off the air during Trump’s hospitalization, and on Sunday, he dispatched senior aides to deliver a largely friendly message.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: U.S. Senate still moving to confirm Trump SCOTUS pick despite members testing positive' Coronavirus: U.S. Senate still moving to confirm Trump SCOTUS pick despite members testing positive

Coronavirus: U.S. Senate still moving to confirm Trump SCOTUS pick despite members testing positive

“We are sincerely hoping that the president makes a very quick recovery, and we can see him back out on the campaign trail very soon,” Biden adviser Symone Sanders said on CNN’s State of the Union.

Story continues below advertisement

She added: “This is a glaring reminder that the virus is real.”

Biden was at home in Wilmington, Delaware, on Sunday with no plans for in-person campaigning or other public appearances. Having already tested negative, he is expected to release the results of a new coronavirus test later in the day, and the campaign has pledged to disclose those results and all other future test results for the 77-year-old candidate.

READ MORE: Trump said to be making ‘substantial progress’ but ‘not out of the woods’ yet

On Saturday, chief of staff Mark Meadows told reporters outside the hospital, “We’re still not on a clear path yet to a full recovery.” In an update Saturday night, Trump’s chief doctor expressed cautious optimism but added that the president was “not yet out of the woods.”

Meanwhile, Trump’s handling of the pandemic and his own health faced new scrutiny.

Click to play video 'President Donald Trump provides update on health, says he’ll ‘beat coronavirus soundly’' President Donald Trump provides update on health, says he’ll ‘beat coronavirus soundly’

President Donald Trump provides update on health, says he’ll ‘beat coronavirus soundly’

Trump’s medical care is far superior to the average American’s, with around-the-clock attention and experimental treatments. In the hospital video, he defended his decision to continue campaigning and holding large events during a pandemic.

Story continues below advertisement

“I had no choice,” said Trump, who refused to abide by basic public health recommendations, including mask-wearing. “I had to be out front. … I can’t be locked up in a room upstairs and totally safe. … As a leader, you have to confront problems.”

READ MORE: Chris Christie tests positive for coronavirus, checks into hospital as precaution

Trump is 74 years old and clinically obese, putting him at higher risk of serious complications from a virus that has infected more than 7 million people nationwide and killed more than 209,000 people in the U.S.

First lady Melania Trump remained at the White House to recover from her own bout with the virus.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Regeneron co-founder talks about President Trump’s antibody treatment' Coronavirus: Regeneron co-founder talks about President Trump’s antibody treatment

Coronavirus: Regeneron co-founder talks about President Trump’s antibody treatment

Trump’s administration has been less than transparent with the public throughout the pandemic, both about the president’s health and the virus’s spread inside the White House. The first word that a close aide to Trump had been infected came from the media, not the White House. And aides have repeatedly declined to share basic health information, including a full accounting of the president’s symptoms, what tests he’s undertaken and the results.

Story continues below advertisement

Conley declined to say when Trump had last been tested before he was confirmed to have COVID-19 late Thursday. He initially suggested that Trump was 72 hours into the diagnosis — which would mean that he was confirmed infected Wednesday. Conley later clarified that Trump was administered an accurate test for the virus on Thursday afternoon.

READ MORE: Here’s the list of people near Trump who have also tested positive for coronavirus

The White House has said Trump was expected to stay at the hospital for “a few days” and would continue to work from its presidential suite, which is equipped to allow him to keep up his official duties.

On Saturday, Conley said Trump’s blood oxygen level was 96%, which is in the normal range. The two experimental drugs he has received, given through an IV, have shown some promise against COVID-19.

He noted that in many cases, COVID-19 can become more dangerous as the body responds. “The first week of COVID, and in particular day seven to 10, are the most critical in determining the likely course of this illness,” he said.

Click to play video 'Trump remains in hospital amid questions about diagnosis' Trump remains in hospital amid questions about diagnosis

Trump remains in hospital amid questions about diagnosis

At the same time, the White House has been working to trace a flurry of new infections of close Trump aides and allies. Attention is focused in particular on the Sept. 26 White House event introducing Trump’s Supreme Court nominee.

Story continues below advertisement

That day, Trump gathered more than 150 people in the Rose Garden, where they mingled, hugged and shook hands — overwhelmingly without masks. There were also several indoor receptions, where Trump’s Supreme Court pick, Amy Coney Barrett, her family, senators and others spent time in the close quarters of the White House, photographs show.

Click to play video 'How Trump’s condition could impact the 2020 presidential campaign' How Trump’s condition could impact the 2020 presidential campaign

How Trump’s condition could impact the 2020 presidential campaign

Among those who attended and have now tested positive: former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, former White House counsellor Kellyanne Conway, the president of the University of Notre Dame and at least two Republican lawmakers — Utah Sen. Mike Lee and North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis. The president’s campaign manager, Bill Stepien, and the head of the Republican National Committee, Ronna McDaniel, have also tested positive, though they were not at the event. Another prominent Republican who has tested positive: Sen. Ron Johnson. R-Wis.

Colvin reported from Washington. Peoples reported from New York. Associated Press chief medical writer Marilynn Marchione in Milwaukee and Associated Press writers Bill Barrow in Wilmington, Del., and Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.

Story continues below advertisement

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Read The Full Article At Global News. This content is provided by Global News at public RSS feed. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.