Mike Pence not in quarantine after aide tests positive for coronavirus

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is not in quarantine and plans to be at the White House on Monday, a spokesman said on Sunday, despite media reports that Pence was self-isolating after a staffer tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

“Vice President Pence will continue to follow the advice of the White House Medical Unit and is not in quarantine,” spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement.

READ MORE: Mike Pence aide tests positive for coronavirus, 2nd case in White House complex

“Additionally, Vice President Pence has tested negative every single day and plans to be at the White House tomorrow,” the statement added.

The Trump administration has no plans to keep President Donald Trump and Pence apart, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Sunday, as concerns rise about the spread of the coronavirus within the White House.

Coronavirus outbreak: Trump says VP aide who tested positive hasn’t come in contact with him

Coronavirus outbreak: Trump says VP aide who tested positive hasn’t come in contact with him

Trump told reporters on Friday that Pence’s spokeswoman, Katie Miller, had tested positive for the virus, a day after news that Trump’s personal valet also had tested positive.

Story continues below advertisement

Trump said he himself had not been in contact with the spokeswoman, who is married to White House senior adviser Stephen Miller, but that she had spent time with the vice president.

READ MORE: Trump’s valet tests positive for coronavirus; president tests negative

Both Trump, 73, and Pence, 60, have drawn criticism for not donning face coverings despite a recommendation from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to do so in certain public settings.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Trump has said he would not wear a mask and has not publicly worn one to any of his events during the pandemic, but told reporters last week he tried some on behind the scenes during his visit to a Honeywell International Inc mask factory in Arizona.

Coronavirus outbreak: No mask for Pence during Mayo Clinic tour

Coronavirus outbreak: No mask for Pence during Mayo Clinic tour

A Bloomberg reporter tweeted on Sunday that Pence was self-isolating away from the White House following his aide’s diagnosis, prompting Pence’s office to issue the statement. NBC News reported that Pence was putting “a little distance” between himself and others over the weekend.

READ MORE: Head of U.S. National Guard receives conflicting coronavirus test results: officials

Three senior officials guiding the U.S. response to the coronavirus pandemic also were in self-quarantine on Saturday after coming into contact with someone who had tested positive for the disease, their agencies and spokesmen said.

The officials were Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Robert Redfield, director of the CDC, and U.S. Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn.

Story continues below advertisement

Coronavirus outbreak: Trump says he had ‘little’ contact with valet who tested positive for COVID-19

Coronavirus outbreak: Trump says he had ‘little’ contact with valet who tested positive for COVID-19

© 2020 Reuters

Read The Full Article At Global News. This content is provided by Global News at public RSS feed. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.