The second U.S. presidential debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden will be virtual, with the two candidates speaking from separate remote locations, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday.
The announcement comes nearly a week after Trump said he’d tested positive for the coronavirus.
Shortly after the announcement, Trump told Fox News that he was not going to participate in the debate.
“I’m not going to do a virtual debate,” he told Fox News on Thursday. “No, I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate. That’s not what debating is all about, you sit behind a computer and do a debate, it’s ridiculous and then they cut you off whenever they want.”
Biden said he will be participating and “looks forward to speaking directly” to Americans at the virtual debate.
The debate, scheduled for Oct. 15, “will take the form of a town meeting,” organizers said, adding the decision was made to protect “the health and safety of all involved.”
The audience, who typically ask the candidates questions in the town-meeting format, and moderator Steve Scully will gather in one spot in Florida, Miami’s Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, the commission said in a statement.
It’s not clear what comes next after Trump said he will not be participating.
Earlier this week, the president said he was “looking forward” to the second debate, saying it “will be great!”
Biden said on Tuesday that the debate shouldn’t take place if Trump is still infected with the coronavirus.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.